The Story of Domaine Boingneres
Originally founded in 1807 by Jean Boingnères it has for six generations steadfastly maintained the often difficult path of never producing anything but the best armagnacs.
However, it was not until 1953 that the style of the armagnacs began to change forever as Léon Lafitte took over the estate when his father-in-law died. He first expanded the vineyard area, and second sold bottled stock directly to all the famous restaurants, where Boingnères’ reputation soon became second to none.
He later replanted the vineyards with his favourite grape varieties, principally folle blanche with some colombard and ugni blanc, for which he coined the phrase Cépages Nobles. He then built a new press house and ageing cellar and in 1975 a new still was purpose built by Ster to give the greatest extraction of flavour from the wines.
Today Martine Lafitte carries on the Boingnères tradition of excellence. The Boingnères armagnacs are distilled to 52 % (allowing the maximum of congeners to pass over into the spirit) and then aged in a very specific manner. Half of the new spirit is put into new charred casks of local oak—up to 15 casks per year—and aged for two years, before it is transferred to older wood. The other half goes into two year-old barrels where it remains until required for blending and bottling.
The Lafitte family, considers Armagnac the noblest of products, a masterpiece. Perfection is the family’s everyday quest and this starts with the inimitable terroir of the domaine.
The estate is situated in the commune of Le Frêche, where the soil, a narrow strip of land only 25km by 8km, is dotted with springs and sheltered by the Landes Forest. This small piece of the Bas Armagnac has soil of a particular lightness, a fine siliceous clay mixed with sand and iron elements where the finest of brandies are produced.